A recent rapid internet-based technology revolution is in fact due to an integral technology based on high- performance solid-state circuits (e.g., GHz-speed microprocessor, MMIC, and DSP-chip), ultra-high speed mobile communication components, and various system softwares as well as application softwares.
In order to realize the future high-quality information technology, it is essential to integrate various wire and wireless communication systems into an unified communication system which necessarily requires the design technology of microwave and optical system.
This means the development of much higher speed semiconductor components and communication systems along with system design and reliability testing technologies.
The main work being performed in our lab. is the design and evaluation technology of MCM system, in which the system level integration technology (SLIT) is essentially required. In reality, the SLIT is a corner stone since future high-speed and high-performance electronic systems are strongly related with various system components.
Design technology including component modeling technology, MCM process technology, signal integrity verification technology concerned with delta-I noise, crosstalk, signal distortion, and etc., are all crucial knowledge for integrating the various electronic components.
In addition, system and component characterization technologies such as microwave and optical component measurements (i.e., in the frequency range of DC to THz frequency) as well as their analyses are also necessary on the whole.
Up to date, the research members of our lab. have exerted for several decades all possible efforts on the aforementioned core technologies such as circuit design, component modeling, and their characterization, thereby accumulating considerable amount of relevant technologies as well as industrial know-how.
Thus, based on such technical knowledge, we intend to investigate and develope further advanced integrated electronic system design technology as well as their evaluation technology in order for them to be usefully employed for highly value-added product developments in the industries.
Our final goal is to investigate and develop theoretical basis as well as system design technology concerned with high-performance integrated electronic system. This means our goal is to develop the unified system level design technology that can be applied to various areas.
To achieve this goal, we have the following detailed objectives.
- System design technology: The goal in this field is the development of mixed signal design technology and its characterization technology that can provide all the fundamental theory as well as system level circuit design capability.
- Component modeling: The goal in this field is to design the physical circuit model for various passive and active components, including IC package and interface between the components.
- Component characterization: In this field, the objectives are not only the parameter extractions of the electrical and material characteristics of the components but also their mathematical analyses and experimental verifications. These are essential technologies for the system optimization.
- Process verification: Our goal in this field is to statistically analyze and verify the process variation and reliability problems concerned with the existing semiconductor processes. For an example, a target process which is over 10 layers with a minimum feature size of less than 1㎛ will be investigated and characterized.
√ Research Strategy
Our lab. will perform the aforementioned work with the following detailed strategies.
- System design technology: All the possible electrical noises such as crosstalk, ground bouncing, reflection, and signal degradations will be mathematically analyzed and modeled. Based on these models, the design formulas for high-performance integrated electronic system will be developed. Finally, the design formulas will be integrated into CAD tools for the purpose of efficient design and signal integrity verification of the mixed systems.
- Component modeling: Physical circuit models of semiconductor components (i.e., digital IC package, RF package, RF filter, and etc.) and their interface between the components will be developed by investigating their operating characteristics. Then the macro models based on the aforementioned ones will be developed.
- Component characterization: Various circuit model parameters such as transmission line parameters and material constants will be experimentally extracted and characterized in the frequency range of DC to THz frequency. These will be then data-based in order to be employed for the signal integrity verification during the system level designs.
- Process verification: Reliable as well as repeatable process integration technology will be developed by throughly investigating the process variations of the target process which is due to electrical as well as other characteristics. Then the optimization technology of the component model as well as system will be developed.
√ Major Facilities
Our lab. has over 30 equipments of specified microwave and optical measurement systems. Further, our lab. is facilitated with network-based computer systems that is installed with almost every necessary CAD tools. These are listed up below.
Digital logic verification
Low-freq. RLC measurements
Semiconductor Parameter Analyzer
DC device parameter extraction
Transmission line impedance cha.
Noise Figure Meter / Test Set
Noise figure measurements
√ Potential Value
With our integrated electronic system design technology developments, the system level design methodology and component modeling technology can be acquired. These technologies are very essential as well as fundamental for future high-performance electronic systems.
Throughout this work, many well-educated engineers can be provide to the industries and scattered relevant information can be collected to be an unified data-base, thereby significantly contributing to the national industries' competitive power.
Furthermore, the original technology developments can make our nation's technology-dependence escaped from the technically advanced countries and enable the industries to substantially cut down the design turn-around time.
Therefore, we believe that such technical achievements will significantly contribute on our nation's economy as well as nation's competitive power in the current internationally-competitive era.